Followers

Wednesday 15 October 2014

Sparkle with Prima Lulupu Blog hop

Hello friends!
Hope you all are doing great!
Today I am want to share with you all a layout.
I made this one for the Lulupu-Sparkle with Prima blog hop.
You have hopped here from Riti's blog
 Its the Day 6 of the hop on Lulupu blog with my post and I hope you made it a point to comment on each of the previous five designers in the hop :) We have a Secret blog hop prize for one lucky winner hidden somewhere.
So, did you check out the Lulupu store for the latest release from Prima???
If not.. You all are sure missing out on some great stuff and definitely some great deals!
Lulupu has stocked up the latest collection of all the gorgeous Prima pattern papers and coordinating embellishments, ATCs, stickers and what not.. for you to create your projects with. Not to forget the Art basics, Art Extra-vaganza and Art Ingredients ! They are the hottest things in the crafting world these days. So hop on to the store here.

Here is a project I made using some of my Prima goodies. I will leave a link to all the supplies used in this project in the end.



Some close ups :







Step by step tutorial on how to make his layout-

Step 1.
 Choose the 12x12 inch (or any other size ) papers you want to.
I chose my Prima papers. The base paper is from The Epiphany collection and the black gesso-ed paper is Prima songbird collection (old). This is a yellow coloured paper I chose to work with.

Step 2.
 Apply a layer of black gesso. When it dries use some old pen ( not in working condition) to make a few scratches and marks.

About Black gesso-(or any Prima gesso as such)

1.Black Gesso here not only works as a colorant for me here but also helps me in giving a chalkboard kind of look.

2. Gesso also helps me to build up layers of mediums I want to on my page as it prevents warping and tearing of paper and makes it relatively impervious to liquid mediums as mists, sprays and watercolours.

3.You can water it down to change consistency as I did here. This means less product used and more coverage. This is heavy gesso by prima so watering definitely helps!

4.White gesso works similar except that it gives a white colour and Clear gesso gives no colour but does provide all the other advantages of gesso.

5. Any gesso gives tooth to your paper and make it impervious which means that your mists and colours look more vibrant when applied on gesso-ed papers/materials.

Step 3.
Start the work on this  prepared base. I started with carefully applying Golden Wendy Vecchi Studio 490 embossing paste using Prima bubbles stencil ( My favourite) and art knife.

Step 4.
 Half dry with heat tool. Do not try complete heat drying as the paste starts to bubble on continuous heat application. You may try to do it after a few minutes if you please.

Step 5.
Adhere this to the base paper (Epiphany paper). Do some stitching and use Black Chalk ink by Prima to distress the edges of the paper.

Step 6.
Use matte medium to adhere the Prima resin frame and the picture inside. I like to be liberal with this application especially if adhering heavy objects (resin frame in this case).

Step7.
Start building up layers on the frame. I used black sand texture paste by Prima for this. Oh my! I loved it! I build up layers all around the frame and then dried it carefully.
Note- Protect your picture as it may distort with heating).

About black/white sand texture paste-

1.This actually works and looks as sand.
2.You may mix it with stains and inks to create your own customised effects.
 3.The top layer can be dried with a heat tool and you may continue to work although the product takes some time to dry completely if the layer is thick.
4.As Texture Paste is permanent after drying do clean the tools and stencils with water and soap (or wet wipes) just after using.
5. It is the best product if you want to do a seaside or beach project.
 6.It works wonders on altered items and works on almost all surfaces I know of!
7.If you want to use with stencils- No detailed stencils please.

Step 8.
 Once dry add a layer of Prima White crackle texture paste. I applied a thick layer of this paste.
 This is one of my favourite products! I am definitely going to buy all that there is the line. The best part is the quantity supplied in this line. definitely worth the investment.

Step 9.
 Do not try heat drying the White Crackle texture paste if you want real awesome crackles!

About Prima Crackle paste

1.If you wish to have the best kind of crackle effect- DO NOT dry with heat tool. Let it dry naturally.
Also note that the thickness of the paste decides the Crackling effect.

 2.Thin layer means very fine crackle- I do not advise vey thin layers as you will want to see the cracks if you bought this product.
Thick layer means- Large cracks but few( What I used here in this project is Thick layer)
Medium layer - good and many cracks :)

3.If you are covering larger areas with crackle texture paste do apply soft gel on top after drying crackle paste to prevent the crackle flakes from falling off.

Step10.
 I started to build up on the embellishments.
Used flowers, beads and Mica flakes- Henna and gold leaf by Prima. Also used glass beads by Prima.

Mica flakes-

1.These are the best embellishments if you wish to go for subtle (hint of) sparkle as these are not flashy. Just what I like :)
2.Provide fabulous textures and dimensions. It gives an edge to your creations!

Step 11.
Apply a little bit of gold crackle texture paste in thin layers on few areas around the frame. This I did to merge the crackle texture with the paper.

Step 12.
Use some gold mist to give a few splatters. I used Lindys stamp gang -Glory of the seas Gold.
This is where my black gesso worked wonders for me. It really highlighted the shimmer in the mist.

Step13.
Write down the title and do the journaling if you like. And there you go! Its done :)


Prima Black sand texture paste
Prima White crackle texture paste
Prima Epiphany papers
Prima Epiphany wood icons
Prima pebbles

That is all from me today! Hope you liked my creation and found the tutorial helpful. Do check out the Lulupu store if you wish to stock up any of the stuff I used or any of the latest Prima release. Also do not forget to leave a comment on EACH stop in the blog hop series as apart from winner and top 3 Prizes ..We also have a Blog hop winner and a Secret Prize hidden somewhere in any one DT/GDTs post.

Your next stop is A wonderful crafter Nikita's blog. Be sure to hop on and leave her some love :)

And Finally! Here we have a blog badge for you to display :)


Waiting to hear from you :) Have a great day!
  


21 comments:

  1. This is some tutorial! And some valuable tips too. The LO is lovely. ..love the layers that you have built up. The gold and sparkle is just right without overpowering. Great job, Jaya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow amazing project Jaya... and what an amazing write up about the products... kudos to you... ... Actually so far I dint know there are so many uses of gesso.... Thank you for giving step by step tutorial... Loved it very much....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely Stunning Layout

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous colours and textured Jaya.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glittery and glam LO..love the Prima frame and papers Jaya.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing textures, love the dramatic contrast between the black background and the gold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was waiting eagerly for your take on the theme and I have to say,I am bowled over with your creation.Gold on black is beautiful and I love the texture you achieved.The tips are super helpful.Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW never thought I would love a golden project so much...and you are very photogenic Jaya!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely textures......loved the colors Gold and black.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply WOW !!! all the embellishments and mediums are well used ..It looks to me .. like some hidden treasure under the sea :) .. thanks for the detail tutorial ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its Stunning Jaya ,Gold with textures looks striking on black .Loved the tips and extra info you have shared I got to know many new things :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous layout Jaya!!!! Loved the use of gold against black backdrop!!! thanks for giving these amazing tips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a marvellously creative piece! Love the gold against the black - so poppin'!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay I am a huge fan of gold (as you probably figured), so I think this is stunning and the black just totally makes everything sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So amazing Jaya....love the bling and and built up frame! The colouring is so super too! Super photo....such a pretty girl you are! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. dude! love this!!! :D I like how the colors came together, you did a fab job piecing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Jaya!! I love reading your tutes!! They are so detailed and they inspire to create! Wonderful project and an awesome tute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wonderful and thanks so much for the detailed explanation. nice of you to share.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW..! The golden embossing is just way too awesome :) useful tips & a great tutorial overall :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are brilliant in making these textured layouts, Jaya. Love to read the whole process and tricks and tips, great tutorial.
    Layout is super gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!